Monday, October 20, 2008

Journal 4- Common/average

 1.Common and average seem to be often used terms, but what do they mean exactly?  The dictionary defines them as occurring, found, or done often and an amount, standard, level, or rate regarded as usual or ordinary, respectively.  I’d define common as being something that is often seen and occurs frequently, and average as being normal.  My philosophy is that some people go out of their way to be considered common or average, as they want to fit in and be “normal.”  I think that everyone has a different definition of “normal,” so nobody can agree on exactly what it is.

2. One philosophy about common or average was shown in “Tuesdays with Morrie,” when Morrie said, “Here’s what I mean by building your own little subculture… the big things, how we think, what we value-those you must choose yourself.”  This means that Morrie thinks everyone should try and build their own culture and not blindly follow someone else just to be average.  Morrie has never been common, as he has valued love far more than most people, and it has made him the person he was.  Another philosophy is shown when Morrie said, “Well, I have to look at life uniquely now.  Let’s face it, I can’t go shopping, I can’t take care of the bank accounts, I can’t take out the garbage.  But I can sit here with my dwindling days and look at what I think is important in life.”  Morrie is no longer thinking about being common or average, and he is instead focusing on doing what he does best.  Morrie doesn’t value trying to be average, he just does what he thinks his right.  

3.I would agree with these philosophies, because I think people spend too much time worrying about how they’re different from everyone else, and like Morrie said, that everyone could live more interesting lives if they developed their own philosophies.  Everyone is so influenced by marketing and the media that they start to think that they have to be like everyone else.  This book hasn’t really made me change my opinions, however, because I basically thought that the whole time.

4.My open ended question is “How important do you think it is to be common or average?”

Personally I think that it isn’t very important, because it doesn’t really mean very much.  I think life can be enjoyed more if one isn’t constantly worrying about being normal.  

No comments: